Knowing when to refer a patient for a hospice evaluation can be difficult. Some signs that may indicate eligibility for hospice care are:
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Progressive weight loss
- Deteriorating mental abilities
- Recurrent infections
- Disease-specific declines
- Decrease in functional ability
- Not “bouncing back” after an illness
When a hospice referral is made, the hospice team can do a consultative visit to determine if someone is eligible to start hospice care.
Not Sure Where to Begin?
We can help.